The Official Blog about Gamervision.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Weekly Survey Blog

By Veggie Jackson


The Xbox 360 in my house is technically owned in equal part by me and my lovely wife. I say technically because since it was given to us as a joint birthday present, I have logged 135 hours on Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, as well as a good 200-250 hours on other games, and she has played the Viva Pinata demo for an hour. Sadly, there's just not much out there for her and other gamer-chicks to play on the traditional consoles. It's not a question of her liking games: I'll put her up against anyone out there in Civilization IV or Word Whomp. She just has no interest in first-person-shooters, RPG's, beat-em-ups or boxing, and I'm guessing that most women are on the same page.




Girls do love horsies.



The dilemma is this: Do developers not make girl-games because there aren't enough girl gamers, or are there too few girl-gamers because of the lack of female-focused games? Or is it something else entirely, like a super-secret conspiracy between the game developers, Gloria Steinem, Jack Thompson and the reverse vampires? Now, I know that there are millions of women and girls playing games online, probably more than men, but I'm talking about console games. Hardcore gaming takes place on consoles and to me, that's what Gamervision is all about. So tell me what you think, and if you're a married or attached guy, ask your lady-friend about it too. Hell, ask your grandma what she thinks (once she's done Wii bowling).




GTA: Wisteria Lane

No comments: